|KZN Hawks head, Major-General Johan Booysen (SABC)|
General Johan Booysen, former head of the Organised Crime Unit and now KwaZulu/Natal’s provincial head of the Hawks, was not arrested during the earlier farcical raids. In fact, at that time Hawks spokesman McIntosh Polela said: "Major-General Booysen is not part of the investigation.” – Source
The previous posting conveyed my disgust for the underhanded manner in which the 20 men were arrested by a team led by their Hawks colleagues. (When the unit was disbanded earlier in February 2012 several of its members were incorporated into the Hawks.) It is thus no wonder that the media later described the affair as a “public relations nightmare.” I also expressed my disgust that the media had humiliated these crime-fighters with the demeaning terms, “Death Squad” or “Hit Squad” long before they had even appeared in a court of law.
Among the 20 people arrested in June 2012 there were 2 men, who were not part of the Durban Organised Crime Unit but members of the National Intervention Unit. The charges against these 2 men, Dumisani Nzama and Sivuyile Ngodwa, were withdrawn, and they were released amidst rumours that they had turned State witness. The remaining 18 were released on bail of R5000 each. They face 14 charges of murder, 14 of unlawful possession of ammunition, 14 of unlawful possession of firearms, and four of house breaking. Also on the provisional indictment are 14 counts of defeating the ends of justice, and 14 of unlawful possession of weapons and ammunition. Source
In my humble opinion this whole affair is a travesty of justice (a typical Communist-government witch-hunt), but the truth will eventually surface. It’s just a pity that these fine men are being publicly humiliated like this, and that their families have to also suffer.
General Booysen, a fine gentleman and an excellent cop, and also an old police acquaintance of mine, has now also been arrested together with 11 others. They were detained in Durban yesterday, but as usual the procedures for bail-application were delayed for some unknown reason (probably just for the hell-of-it). I presume they will be applying for bail today (Thursday).
IPID spokesperson Moses Dlamini said, “If they wish to apply for bail they are welcome to do so." Dlamini also mentioned that the 12 suspects would join the 18 initial accused in court on Friday.
Collectively they face more than 100 charges including racketeering, murder, attempted murder, theft, unlawful firearm possession, defeating the ends of justice and assault... It all sounds terribly serious, does it not? -- Yet, the State (ANC Regime) has no problem releasing these ‘dangerous criminals’ back into society. What a circus!
Full news report here.
Demmit – but this country has gone to hell - I cannot keep up with all this chaos!