Recommended Reading:

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Now… THIS IS AFRICA!


Recent photographs taken at Warmbaths (Bela-Bela) and Leeupoort: March 2012


Despite all the ranting and raving on this blog, about pathetic service, pathetic people and sheeple, government incompetence, crime, corruption, treachery, and goodness knows what else, Southern Africa has become an integral part of my mind and soul. I simply cannot visualize how I’ll cope in another part of the world, in a place I’m not familiar with.

I can recall, since I was a young boy, how happy and content I always was when spending time in the bushveld, far away from the artificial sights and sounds of the city, and all its sheeple. On my personal Blogger Profile, which has remained unchanged since December 2008, I’ve stated that my favourite music is, “The Sounds of Nature.”

Neil Diamond’s album Beautiful Noise comes to mind, when I think about the sounds that nature so beautifully and freely creates in its countless forms and varieties.  Although I appreciate some of Neil Diamond’s music, no musician can ever proclaim that their noise is as beautiful or as varied as the natural sounds that come from Africa’s awesome bushveld.

Besides sex with the right woman, there is nothing that relieves stress like the sounds, sights and smells of the bush. Although I would love to introduce readers, who are not from this part of the world, to all the wonderful natural sights and melodies, it would be near impossible to do so in a single posting. I will however share a few of my most recent brief encounters, and hope readers will enjoy it as much as I did. Bear in mind though that nothing beats a real live experience!

 Turn up the volume!
(See also description of video below)


The footage and sounds on the above video were recorded while I was having a leisurely walk in the Leeupoort Nature Reserve, which I visited a few days ago, on 26 and 27 March. Leeupoort is situated only about 165 Km’s from Pretoria.

The loud bark-like calls heard on the video were being made by two male baboons, from two separate remote locations. I happened to be in the middle at the time. The screech-like sounds of infant baboons can also be heard, and may even send a few chills down your spine, as it sounds as if one of the infants are being savagely slaughtered. Listen to the video, and you’ll see what I mean.

Clear footage of the actual noisemakers are vague, but have been indicated by means of spotlight annotations.

The last portion of the video was taken the following day, when I happened to get very brief footage of a huge adult baboon, making a fast disappearing act into the bush.

The following short video, recorded in the early hours of the morning, is more 'peaceful' sounding. Guinea fowl form the main part of the orchestra in this clip:


More footage is available on YouTube’s TiaMysoa Channel.

Viewers may also enjoy watching a short 25 second clip of a 'tame' warthog that almost ate my camera.
Follow this link to view. The HD Link is here.

Related Posts:

6 comments :

Mike Smith said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

TIA you Say....

"Besides sex with the right woman, there is nothing that relieves stress like the sounds, sights and smells of the bush...

What "Bush" are you actually refering to here?

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

@Mike

Howdy my friend...

Well, it’s most definitely not the sounds, sights and smells of any female member from that prominent American family with the same name :-)

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

I think Mike is missing the bush

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

or maybe he has missed the point

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Brilliant Tia - thanks for sharing.

There is nothing quite like the sounds of African wildlife to evoke feelings of nostalgia in the hearts of Expats now living abroad.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

67. Boerius: Bosveldpad

Word stil my siel in Bosveldpad
wat kronkels deur my lewe stap
en ruigtes in my hart kom groei
... waar biltongwinde heimwee loei

My gees mopanie-wandelaar
wat witskulp in die son vergaar
en verre see se dowwe bruis
jou stiltes in my ore suis

Verlange wieg in kurkdroë gras
wat eens in fleur van lewe was
en nou as deel van vaal palet
my hele mens se smag beset

O kom dan gou my Bosveldpad
in ingehokte moeg en mat
van hunker, heimwee, smag, verlang
en vul my Bosveld vryheidsdrang..

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category