Recommended Reading:

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bok van Blerk’s latest music album - My Kreet


Bok van Blerk’s latest and third album “My Kreet” has finally been released! This new album by Bok was considered as the album of the year even before it was officially released.


This young and talented Afrikaans musician became famous in 2006 for his rendition of ‘Delarey’, a tribute to the Boer general, Koos de la Rey, who was regarded as one of the strongest military leaders during the British-Boer conflict during the Second Boer War (1899 – 1902).

The ultra-paranoid ANC Government initially interpreted the ‘de la Rey’ lyrics as a call to armed battle by the Boers. Despite the fact that this was a mistaken perception, Bok was still labelled as a right-winger. (Anybody who scares the ANC government, no matter how slight, is called a right-winger or a racist, - or both!)
"We wanted to sing a song about history and the general, to be proud. De la Rey did not want to go to war. He stood up for the right things, for freedom.... The song wasn't written for [a political] reason.... I wanted to create something for people to be proud of. It's like 'Flower of Scotland.' There's a warm feeling inside and it's got that feel to it. My generation of Afrikaners wants to be proud of who we are and where we come from, and our language". -- Bok van Blerk
When Bok van Blerk’s second CD “Afrikanerhart” was released he had, due to political pressure and also for the sake of his own survival, no choice but to print a disclaimer on the CD cover in bold capital letters, which reads as follows:
"Afrikanerhart is nie ‘n lied wat roep na enige vorm van revolusie of opstand nie. Die lied kom uit die musiekspel ‘Ons Vir Jou’ en al wat ons probeer sê is dat die Afrikaner ook gebloei het om Suid-Afrika te bou. Met respek vir alle kulture en hulle geskiedenis kan ons die land saam selfs nog sterker maak."
English translation:
“Afrikanerhart is not a song that calls for any form of revolution or uprising. The song comes from the musical ‘Ons vir Jou’, and all that we want to say is that the Afrikaner also shed blood while building South Africa. If we respect all cultures and their history, we can together all make this country stronger.”

The album “Afrikanerhart” won the 2010 Sama-award for being a top-seller. Incidentally my one-and-only previous posting on this blog about Bok van Blerk entitled From the heart of an Afrikaner, is also the posting with the most pageviews on this blog.




Bok van Blerk’s latest music CD can be ordered now from Kalahari.net

Music Tracks:
  1. My Kreet
  2. Die ou klipkerk gebou
  3. ‘n Goeie man
  4. BMX en bende
  5. Tannie Tina van Wyk
  6. Konyne
  7. Anderkant die treinspoor
  8. Bloubul shebeen
  9. Die bokke skiet terug
  10. Diknek en klein tandjies
  11. Honnelos
  12. Platteland
My Kreet (Lirieke) - Afrikaans
(vers)

Is jy gebore?
Donker Afrika se kind
Voel jy verlore?
Voel dit is nie eers jou skuld?

(voor-koor)

Maar jy moet aanhou glo
Nooit ooit vergeet
So staan ons saam

(koor)

As jy voel jy staan alleen
En almal se jy kan nie wen
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed, deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet
Jy moet weet jy’s nooit alleen
Die Afrikaner het `n stem
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed, deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet

(vers 2)

Soek jy na rede?
Om in Afrika te bly
Soek jy na vrede?
Soek net die lewe in die stry

(voor-koor)

Maar jy moet aanhou glo
Nooit ooit vergeet
So staan ons saam

(koor)

As jy voel jy staan alleen
En almal se jy kan nie wen
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet
Jy moet weet jy’s nooit alleen
Die Afrikaner het ‘n stem
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed, deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet

(brug)

As jy jou alles gee, dan gee ek meer en meer

(koor)

As jy voel jy staan alleen
En almal se jy kan nie wen
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet
Jy moet weet jy’s nooit alleen
Die Afrikaner het ‘n stem
As jy my vra sal ek jou dra
Deur bloed, deur sweet, hoor jy my kreet


My Kreet - The Video



My Kreet (Lyrics) – English Translation

(Take note: the English words simply don’t carry the message with the same passion, and obviously neither with any poetic rhyme.)

Are you born?
Dark Africa’s child
Do you feel lost?
Do you feel it’s not even your fault?

But you must keep on believing
Never ever forget
This is how we stand together

If you feel you stand alone
And everyone says you cannot win
If you ask me I will carry you
Through blood, sweat, you hear my cry
You must know you’re never alone
The Afrikaner has a voice
If you ask me I will carry you
Through blood, sweat, you hear my cry

Are you looking for reason?
To live in Africa
Are you looking for peace?
Look for life in the struggle

But you must keep on believing
Never ever forget
This is how we stand together

If you feel you stand alone
And everyone says you cannot win
If you ask me I will carry you
Through blood, sweat, you hear my cry
You must know you’re never alone
The Afrikaner has a voice
If you ask me I will carry you
Through blood, sweat, you hear my cry

If you give everything, then I’ll give more and more


OTHER PRODUCTS BY BOK VAN BLERK:





Related post on this blog: From the heart of an Afrikaner

9 comments :

mollusquemorn said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

I just found out about Bok Van Blerk after watching the South African film "White Wedding," featuring his song "Delarey" on the soundtrack. The movie deals with some of the post-apartheid racial relations, but mainly it focuses on the romantic comedy aspect. You might find it interesting: http://whiteweddingmovie.com/

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

@ mollusquemorn,
Thanks for visiting and for the link to the white wedding movie. I have not viewed the movie yet, but have heard from several sources that it’s an enjoyable sit-in comedy.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Bok is die beste!

Rudolf said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Die Afrikaner het `n stem!
Regards from Germany
Rudolf

YaPlos said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

I also found about De La Rey through "White Wedding", in the USA. Then I sought more of his music, and I also learned about the history of the Boers, and the British war crimes.

It turns out that my ancestors in Poland were friends the Boer struggle (themselves oppressed by the Russians), on the one hand, and my 4-generation family's involvement in the Scouting movement gave me great admiration of Gen Baden-Powell, a "khaki" commander, probably one of the less criminal ones.

My Dad passed away in February, before I learned of this music. He would have enjoyed it enormously, and we would have sung it together. As a former Rugby coach, I especially feel the power of the "Staan vas..." line. I made it a point to have Bok as "theme music" in my MP3 player during my recent visit to Amsterdam!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Die Boere rule!

Hans uit Holland

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

"My Kreet" CD maak 'n Afrikanerhart warm! Uitstekend!

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Bok van Blerk se nuwe CD>> Steek die vure aan

Anderson Joey said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

This is really interesting blog. I found your website perfect for my needs.Thanks For Sharing.
Shaadi Mubarak album

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category