Recommended Reading:

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tiger on the loose near Delmas - Gauteng


Although tigers are not native to Africa, there appears to be one running loose not too far from where I live, -- and no it did not escape from the local zoo either!


The following report is by Karabo Gill (Jacarandafm.co.za)

Tiger escaped out of bakkie while on their way to vet

The Mpumalanga Wildlife Management Unit and the province's SPCA are investigating the escape of Panjo the tame tiger. His owner, Goosey Fernandes, says the 18-month old animal escaped on the N12 between Groblersdal and Delmas while being taken to the vet on the East Rand.

“I was planning to do intensive breeding with him because he is a White Tiger. He was going to come back to the vet this week for his last two vaccinations. He travels with me quite often. I put him in the back of the truck. And then I locked the thing up and my wife was actually behind me in another car. We left the farm in Groblersdal and when I got to Delmas I stopped and the back door was open and my cat was gone," explains an emotional Fernandes.

He says that since Panjo's disappearance last night he has done everything he can to search for the tiger. "Since I've lost him I only got to bed at six o'clock this morning. I have come back to my house and just to pick up a couple of things and go out again [to look for him]. I am devastated. I don't know what to do. I have got choppers all over the area. I have got everything. I am in a bad state of mind," he says.

The following report (the latest one at time of posting) is by Louise Flanagan (www.iol.co.za)

Tiger 'could get aggressive'

More than 12 hours after a Bengal tiger escaped from a bakkie between Delmas and Groblersdal, he was still on the loose.

By 1pm the search had moved to the Endicott area near Delmas after reports of a sighting of the big cat. A helicopter, fixed wing-aircraft and a microlight scoured the area.

The 17-month-old tiger, Panjo, was hand-reared from a baby so it is used to people. However his owner Goosey Fernandes is concerned that Panjo may have been injured when he escaped from the bakkie he was being transported in somewhere around the R25.

"If he's hurt he's going to be aggressive," he said. He warned that children particularly should stay away from Panjo.

Picture Credit: http://twitpic.com/292jts

Don't lost cats always find their home???

1 comments :

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

The first concern is that of the young tiger. Clearly Panjo's life was saved by the owner - what does any human do when witnessing a rejected animal? To deny any animal a life with humans...what next? Instead of SPCA bringing out the whip, recognition & assistance would be 1st priority. What are SPCA's whippings going to benefit a beloved animal who might not be alive if it wasn't for the people who gave him a life?

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category