Thursday, January 21, 2010

January is moving too fast!


We’ve hardly reached the end of January 2010, and I’m already finding it hard to keep up with the tangled mess of news-views-and-noise in the media. Besides the catastrophic earthquake which occurred in Haiti on 12 January, and the ensuing anarchy, horror-pics, looting, mobbing, etc.., there has been earlier news, on 7 January, that required urgent action on my part.


SA Police : Re-enlistment of ex-cops

An official SA Police Head Office circular, dated 7 January 2010, invited former officers ranked from Constable to Senior Superintendent, to apply for re-enlistment. I weighed up all the odds and decided that I had nothing to loose if I re-applied for my old job as a Forensic Ballistic Analyst. After all, it is what I do best and enjoy the most. By 12 January I had completed all the relevant paperwork and submitted my application to my previous commander at the Forensic Science Laboratory in Pretoria.

Soon thereafter, I left for a short camping-trip to the scenic Eastern-Transvaal (Mpumalanga) to spend some quality time with close family and friends.

For me, it was absolute bliss not be anywhere near a computer for a few days. I also avoided buying any newspapers, and had my cellphone switched off most of the time. We arrived back on Monday-evening feeling slightly travel-weary but also rejuvenated.

By Wednesday morning this week I learned that the SA Police had already rejected the applications of some of my ex-colleagues who had only been out of the service for less than a year. I’ve been out of the service for nearly eight years.

Yep, --- you guessed it! Our race-obsessed Police Service clearly don’t want experienced Senior White policemen back in service. At the time of posting this I still do not know what the progress is on my application, but it seems that someone at SAPS head office is not aware that the South African Police has a Forensic Department which is in dire need of extra hands. I’ve decided that I’m not going to waste my time making any further enquiries, and neither am I going to worry myself sick about this!

The invitation for re-enlistment in the SA Police Service was also announced in all major Sunday newspapers on 17 January 2010. The requirements for re-enlistment as well as the application form are also available on the SA Police website: www.saps.gov.za

Besides the murderous acts of violence occurring almost on a daily basis here in South Africa – for example, the shocking cold-blooded murder of 42-year-old Kobus Snyman, what other newsworthy events happened while I’ve been away?

Once a Tsotsi – always a Tsotsi!

I wasn’t sure whether I should laugh or cry when I heard this news….

Israel Makoe, that little skunk who landed roles in the Oscar-winning film Tsotsi and the popular TV drama series Yizo Yizo was arrested for robbing three people of their cellphones and R500 in ­Orange Grove, Johannesburg. Click here for more info

Stab-proof vests for the 2010 Soccer World Cup

A London-based security clothing company has been blasted for marketing a "stab-proof vest" for football fans planning to visit the World Cup event in South Africa. So what now, -- are kevlar bullet-proof vests not comfortable enough or are they just not fashionable? Click here for more info on this story.

Ex-terrorist - Robert McBride wants his job back

Okay, so I’m not the only one trying to get my job back!

The CCMA has postponed hearings regarding former Ekurhuleni police chief Robert McBride's attempts to get his job back pending the outcome of a Salga case. Click here for the rest of the story.

R300m fraud uncovered in KwaZulu-Natal

A forensic investigation commissioned by KwaZulu-Natal's social development department has revealed corruption involving about R300-million. Hmmm… I wonder if they’ll get the money back! Click here for the full story.

Now what am I doing? This is NOT a news blog.
An undertaking of such magnitude would be a full-time ‘unpaid’ job, and I don’t have the time for that!

Stay tuned for my next posting, --- a detailed account of my observations and experiences in the picturesque province of Mpumalanga. The posting will include a few travel tips to ensure your sanity and personal safety if you’re planning on visiting that region.

Related Posts:

Memoirs of an Apartheid Cop

Chaos in the South African Police Service

Affirmative Action Knocked for a Six!

SA Police refuse to appoint white forensic experts

Crime - A Battle Lost!

New anti-crime unit firmly under ANC control

Confusion on the shooting range

0 comments :

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category