Recommended Reading:

Friday, October 9, 2009

From the heart of an Afrikaner


Bok van Blerk, born Louis Pepler March 30, 1978, is a South African musician who sings in Afrikaans. He became famous in 2006 for his rendition of ‘Delarey’, a tribute to the Boer general, Koos de la Rey, who was regarded as one of the strongest military leaders during the British-Boer conflict during the Second Boer War (1899 – 1902).

The ‘Delarey’ song rose to instant popularity among many White South Africans, and especially the Afrikaners-speaking folk. It caused a slight stir among government officials during February 2007 when they erroneously interpreted the lyrics as a call to armed battle. I suppose the ANC government must have crapped themselves when their (un)intelligent service reported that some people attending Bok van Blerk’s concerts were displaying the old South African flag and the Transvaal Vierkleur. (The Orange Free State Vierkleur is shown in the De La Rey video as part of the period scene depicted in the song and video). The video can be viewed here.

Van Blerk himself says that he does not identify himself with the old South African flag, nor does he want to be associated with it. But he does promote Afrikaans and has refused to participate in the concert organised by the 94.7 Highveld Stereo radio station because of their policy not to play Afrikaans music. He also makes it clear that he does not side with the Boeremag, that he does not believe violence to be a solution to problems and that General De la Rey was pro-peace. It was also pointed out that Van Blerk's rugby-song is about a coloured rugby player, Bryan Habana. Source

AFRIKANERHART

Bok van Blerk’s latest CD, Afrikaner Hart, is selling so well that top music stores in the country are forever running out of stock. There’s no doubt that this CD is the top-selling album among Afrikaans-speaking South Africans, and also many English-speaking White’s who understand and appreciate the lyrics, the emotions, and the messages portrayed in the songs. (See end of posting for the English translation of the lyrics).

Two songs on the latest CD namely, ‘Die Kaplyn’ and ‘Tyd om te trek?’ (time to move on?), have become immensely popular among folk who can still remember the days when our young men defended our borders from 1966 to 1989 during a war, which become known as the South African Border War.

What was ‘Die Kaplyn’?

'Die Kaplyn' is a song commemorating and thanking the brave men who served during the South African Border War. Click here to view the music video DIE KAPLYN - (with English subtitles).

The Afrikaans term ‘Kaplyn’ literally means ‘Chop Line”. It was a 100 meter wide piece of ground which was cleared (chopped) of all vegetation and then sprayed with the notorious herbicide, which the U.S. military code-named ‘Agent Orange’ (See below for more info.) Once the soil was treated with this chemical, nothing grew on that soil for 100 years or more, --- it basically sterilized the soil! This stretch of ground was “The Border” in more ways than one! It was a stretch of ground where tracks or evidence of the enemy were quickly detected.

Agent Orange

Agent Orange was a herbicide and defoliant used by the U.S. military in its Herbicidal Warfare program during the Vietnam War. Vast tracts of land were sprayed with this chemical as part of a counter-insurgency strategy aimed at removing forest cover for Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces. More than 21,000,000 US gallons (79,000,000 L) of Agent Orange were sprayed across South Vietnam. The Wikipedia article concerning this poison makes no mention of the use of this stuff in the South African Border War. Hmmm, --- could there be something sinister about this? Just a thought!

Click here to read more about the 'Agent Orange' controversy in the Vietnam war.

The Vietnamese allege that 1 million to 4 million of its citizens may have suffered serious health consequences as a result of this herbicide. In September 2009 Vietnam urged the US to speed funding for Agent Orange victims. Click here to read more.

Time to move on? --- Tyd om te trek? (The Video)

There is a trendy view among some folks that this video contains a hidden message to all White Africans to pack their bags and run for their lives before the savages kill us all. The video does portray a typical scene that has occurred countless times in various places on the African continent. In fact the video portrays the scene very mildly. However, I’m quite sure that some people who have become the victims of crime, affirmative action, or other deeds of Marxist-ANC oppression, sometimes feel like moving to greener and more peaceful pastures. The video may just sway these folks to stop dreaming about it.


Many people have asked me to translate the Afrikaans lyrics to English. It wasn’t easy, and I’m sure that other people wil interpret it differently. Nevertheless here is a direct translation of the lyrics of two songs. Let me know if I can make any changes or improvements:

TYD OM TE TREK?
Afrikaans - English Ly
rics

Ek het jou nie verloor nie – I did not lose you
Maar wat het jou gewen? - But what has won you?
Jou paspoort op die tafel – Your passport on the table
Het my hier vasgepen – Has penned me down
Jy sê daar kom ‘n oorlog – You say that a war is coming
Wat diep daar in jou brand – that burns deep inside you
Jy vra kom ek saam na waar jy moet gaan – You ask, am I coming with to where you must go
Jy sê dis tyd om te trek – You say, it’s time to move
Om jou hart te vat – to take your heart
Jy sê dis nie om ons uitmekaar te spat – You say, it is not to cause us to scatter apart
Maar jou woorde aan my – But your words to me
Wil ek hier agter bly – do I want to stay here
Want as jy vra moes jy vra – because if you ask you had to ask
Maar jy’t my gesê – but you told me
Van jou wyse plan is dit wat jy wou hê – Of your wise plan is this what you wanted
Daar’s geen plek vir jou hier – there’s no place for you here
Jy sê dis tyd om te trek – You say, it’s time to move
Daar is soveel meer wat ek wou sê – There is so much more I wanted to say
En wat ek oor wou hê – and what I wanted to happen
Maar hier in donker Africa – But here in dark Africa
Wat soveel van ons vra – That asks so much from us
Wat sou dit kos om net te bly – What would it cost to just stay
Jou woorde was te duur – Your words were too costly
Want wat jy wou sê – Because what you wanted to say
Was geskryf teen die muur – Was written on the wall





AFRIKANERHART
Afrikaans - English Lyrics


In vuur en bloed vind ek my nou – In fire and blood do I find myself now
Soos elke boer en kind en vrou – As every boer and child and wife
‘n Oormag kwyt nou oor ons land – A superior power now rules (or, is getting rid of) our land
Staan gewapen tot die tand – Stand armed to the teeth
Sy skadu val ‘n donker wolk – Its shadow falls a dark cloud
Oor die toekoms van ons volk – Over the future of our people
En veg ons nie sal ons verdwyn – And if we don’t fight we will vanish
By Magersfontein, by Magersfontein, by Magersfontein – At Magersfontein, at Magersfontein, at Magersfontein
Trek ons die lyn – Do we draw the line.
Kom boerekrygers wees nou helde – Come boer warriors, be heroes now
Die dag van rekenskap is hier – The day of reckoning is here
Die Vyand jaag nou oor ons velde – The enemy is running over our fields
Staan jou man teen kanon se vuur – Stand your ground against canon fire
Die kakies wil ons volk verower – The English soldiers (kakies) want to defeat our people
Belowe pyn en smart – Promise pain and sorrow
Maar as jy skiet, skiet my deur – But if you shoot, shoot me through
Maar as jy skiet, skiet my deur – But if you shoot, shoot me through
Maar as jy skiet, skiet my deur my Afrikanerhart – But if you shoot, shoot me through my Afrikaner heart
As jy my vra sal ek jou sê – If you ask me, I will tell you
Hoë my hart se wortels lê – How the roots of my heart lie
As jy my vra sal ek jou wys – If you ask me, I will show you
Dis my grond hier in my vuis – It’s my soil here in my fist
Al breek die hel agter ons los – Even if hell breaks loose behind us
En al stort die hemel neer – And even if heaven falls down
Hou die lyn en staan jou man – Keep the line and stand your man
Dis hier waar ons hul kan keer – It is here where we can stop them
Staan vas Suid-Afrika – Stand firm South Africa
Staan vas Suid-Afrika – Stand firm South Africa


Hurry while stocks last!!!!


Share this post

Bok van Blerk’s third album “My Kreet” has finally been released!
 

This new CD was considered as the album of the year 2010, even before it was released.
Click here to order now from Kalahari.net



Related Post:
Bok van Blerk’s latest music album - My Kreet


From the heart of another Afrikaner...



Click here to visit Music For Africa

29 comments :

Targul said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi.

¿Can you post the afrikaans letter for Die Kaplyn? I'm very interested on it.

Many thanks.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi Targul,
I'm not sure what you want me to post here. "Die Kaplyn" is an Afrikaans term that means "The Chop Line". English troops who served during the South African Border War simply used the term "Kaplyn". Some of these stories, where the term is often used, can be read online @ http://www.justdone.co.za/ROH/List_Stories.php

The Afrikaans website dedicated to the song called "Die Kaplyn" has more info...
http://www.diekaplyn.co.za/

I hope this helps

Targul said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Sorry, I meant were I can find the lyrics of this song in afrikaans.

Maybe the party last night brought me to write "letter". God nows why...

Targul said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thank you :)

Sometimes I think I'm the one of the few spaniards interested in the South African topics. One of my last classworks before achieving the history degree was about SA.

Since then, I feel so much interested about the South African History, culture, etc.

Thomas said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi,

if it possibel to post the english letter for this song? I'm come from Germany and I don't can speak Afrikans. Please post it or send me the letter to cruisader@arcor.de.

Thank you very mutch!

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi Thomas,

Please specify what song do you want translated to English?

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

I presume yo want the song "Die Kaplyn" translated. Please confirm, and I'll make a plan to do the translation for you.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

DIE KAPLYN (ENGLISH TRANSLATION)

DEDICATED TO LOURENS FOURIE (1961 – 2009) AND ALL SOLDIERS WHO TOOK PART IN THE BORDER WAR

Between bushes and trees / Between borders we all wait for tomorrow / But at eighteen we were all lost / How could we understand / And who weighs our lives now / Because only God alone knows why we quiver / Because at eighteen we all just wanted to live / Just one flash and your life was gone / Are you calling me / Calling me back to the Chopline (Die Kaplyn) my friend / The world has turned over the years / When we were young how could we have guessed / Are you searching for me / Searching for me now in the dust and your blood / You said you heard how God was calling you / Then it was all over… / After all these years / Far gone do we drift around in our deeds / Only soldiers live with damage caused by borders / How can you understand / Because the bush gobbles our tracks / In the dark bush brothers were born / In the dark we prayed together for tomorrow / But in one flash your life was over / Are you calling me / Are you calling me back to ‘Die Kaplyn’ my friend / The world has turned over the years / When we were young how could we have guessed / Where are you now / Is your name then retained on our walls / You were never honoured and no one will / Write about your life and what you still wanted… / And at that wall / I stand for hours / But where’s your name now my friend / Can they not understand / Young soldiers perish… / Without reason they carry the blame…

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

DIE KAPLYN
OPGEDRA AAN LOURENS FOURIE (1961 – 2009) EN ALLE SOLDATE WAT AAN DIE GRENSOORLOG DEELGENEEM HET

Tussen bosse en bome / Tussen grense wag ons almal vir more / Maar op agtien was ons almal verlore / Hoe kon ons verstaan / En wie weeg nou ons lewe / Want net God alleen weet waarvoor ons bewe / Want op agtien wou ons almal net lewe / Net een slag toe was jou lewe verby / Roep jy na my / Roep jy my terug na die Kaplyn my vriend / Deur die jare het die wêreld gedraai / Toe ons jonk was hoe sou ons dit kon raai / Soek jy na my / Soek jy my nou in die stof en jou bloed / Jy’t gesê jy hoor hoe God na jou roep / Toe’s dit als verby…/ Na al hierdie jare / Ver verlore dryf ons rond in ons dade / Net soldate leef met grense se skade / Hoe kan julle verstaan / Want daai bos vreet ons spore / In die donker bos was broeders gebore / In die donker saam gebid vir die more / Maar met net een slag jou lewe verby / Roep jy na my / Roep jy na my terug na die Kaplyn my vriend / Deur die jare her die wêreld gedraai / Toe ons jonk was hoe sou ons dit kon raai / Waar is jy nou / Is jou naam dan op ons mure behou / Jy was nooit vereer en niemand gaan nou / Oor jou lewe skryf en wat jy nog wou…/ En by daai muur / Staan ek vir ure / Maar waar’s jou naam nou my vriend / Kan hull nie verstaan…/ Jong soldate vergaan…/ Sonder rede dra hulle die blaam…

Thomas said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thank you very much for the translation!

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

@ Thomas

It's only a pleasure!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Many thanks about the AFRIKANERHART's lyrics! I can assure you it's not even easy to find afrikaanse lirieke! Can assure you on that.And why is that?! Maybe the boys & girls from Boeremag could answer my retoric question :-) However, many, many thanks once again! Baie dankie to you!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Great Job. It's hard to find lyrics from the album in afrikaans. I'm a big fan of Bok's songs, they are so moving. Ons Vir Jou Suid Afrika! Greetings from Poland

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi Anonymous from Poland,
Thanks for visiting this blog, and the compliment. I cannot wait for Bok's next album!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Greetings from Warsaw, Poland!
South Africa and Poland...
our story is similar
we are like brothers
Staan vas Suid-Afrika!!!

Maxie
maxie007@interia.pl

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Really thanks for that lyrics about Bok's songs! It's really hard to find them out.
I think all white southafrican should be proud about their previous banner, the oranje-blanje-blou flag is the simbol of a great civilized state nowadays murdered by the ANC government. Mandela was a great man, not so the the men who took the power after him!
Suidafrika needs the aid of all europeans, like me, who love your beautiful country and wants to settle there and fight against those who want white people out of southafrica!

Ons vir jou Suid Afrika

greetings from northern Italy!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thanks for translating the lyrics! Afrikaans is my first tongue but after all these years away from the fatherland my English far outstrips my rusty Afrikaans. Ive only started learning how to write Afrikaans recently thereby learning new words and phrases thanks to your lyric translation. Thankyou for restoring my taal to me!

I find it interesting how the first verse of 'Afrikanerhart" could be used to describe the state our people are in this very day. Also "Tyd om te Trek" probably does warn all whites to get out of that accursed land. Or maybe calls for the new Great Trek (though there is no where for us to go anymore)

Every older male in my familly served in die Grensoorlog, mainly Infantry. They saw the dark jungles and felt the fear. Ultimatly they and every soldier were betrayed when the government gave the country away and look at it now.

I wish all my White brothers and sisters in SA and the whole of Africa well, stand firm because there are people here in the West who know of your plight. Infact there is a protest that is suppose to be occuring today in Washington D.C demanding an end to the Boer Genocide by the ANC.
But if all that fails like it probably will well, get yourselves ready to run or stand and fight. There is a war coming.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi, I live in American and if I didn't find out the word to my favorite song (Tyd om te trek) I was going to go crazy. Thanks for posting!!!

Rüdiger said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thanks for the lyrics of Afrikanerhart, and for a lot of other articles. I have just started to learn Afrikaans and hope to make good progress until my next time with the Boers.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

@ Rüdiger

You are most welcome, and thanks for visiting this blog!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thank You! You made a great job.
I am a french man who loves the SA history.
The Bok's song are better to discover your history than the Shakira bullshit.

Best wishes from Paris

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi could someone help me translate "brandewyn het nie brieke nie" and "die bok kan bler". I have worked out a few lines but my afrikaans is not good enough yet but getting better. :)
Baie Dank. Henry

Sjoe! said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hallo.
Het jou hele blog by my Gunstelinge gevoeg. Dankie vir 'n goeie stuk werk.

Groete van Moskou, Rusland.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Dankie Sjoe!

Patmos Pete said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Die koninkryk van die hemele het naby gekom.
God het jou lief. Lees jou Bybel.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

God bless the Boer nation! Greetings from Germany

Tatiana said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Thank you so much for posting these!! I'm South African, but I left South Africa when I was 9, and growing up in Durban, never got to learn Afrikaans properly, so I'm teaching myself now (with a little help from my parents), and songs like this connect me back to my roots.

I can never find lyrics, so thank you so much for these!!! I really appreciate the effort you've put into putting this together for the internet in general. =)

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Bedankt voor het posten van de lyrics. Ondanks dat onze talen sterk op elkaar lijken is het soms lastig om de details te verstaan.

Groeten uit Nederland

Deon Gouws said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Waow! Amazing to hear, im a white south african farmer in Prince Albert Western Cape. When visit South Africa come visit. www.oudekloofguestfarm.co.za or www.oudekloof.com

Kind regard
Deon

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category