Recommended Reading:

Friday, December 19, 2008

My child is a drug-addict

Click here to view all posts with the label DRUGS
Not too long ago these words felt like the hardest thing to say, ---- until I realized that there are 1000’s of South African families whose lives have been afflicted by the horrifying consequences of having a drug-addict child in the family. I have recently sent out a letter via e-mail to all my contacts hoping that the power of prayer will make a difference, --- and I know it will. It came as a normal automatic reaction to also publish my letter on this blog in the hope that this will encourage debate on the subject.

My e-mail letter:
To all concerned family, friends and associates,

By now most of you are aware that my youngest son, now 19-years old, has been fighting the evils of a drug addiction for the past 5 – 6 years of his life. I cannot describe in words the heartache and pain we have suffered while helplessly watching this child deteriorate to a point where his life was basically hanging on a thread. To make matters worse the majority of us, including me, simple couldn’t understand why this was happening. Although we witnessed the effects these drugs were having on his mind, body, and soul, we had no idea how to combat this evil. Our hopes were shattered time and time again on receiving the news that he had “escaped” from another rehab centre. Although my son often pleaded for help, his actions often lead many of us to believe that he didn’t want to be helped. Even confinement in prison proved unsuccessful as drugs were just as easily accessible there as on the street corners of every city. The magnitude of the problem became evident when I discovered that every single rehab in the city was full to the brim. The few privately run facilities with an open spot required a monthly fee ranging between R3500 – R4500 per month. The situation seemed hopeless as we simply did not have the funds. I finally realized that it wasn’t just my own son’s life that was at stake here; there are 1000’s of other kids in this country living on the edge of death and destruction, and --- screaming for help!

Finally, --- to make a long story short, --- our prayers for help were answered when a lady who, among others, runs a program called “Adopt a Drug Addict” managed to secure sponsorship for admittance to a reputable rehab centre (Nieuwefontein Empowerment Centre) situated in the middle of nowhere, between De Aar and Hanover. At the time my son was homeless and missing again and was presumably living like a tramp somewhere in the slums of Pretoria. We weren’t even sure if he was still alive or not. On Thursday, 4 December, a small group of concerned Christians gathered at my home to pray. Three days later, I managed to locate the kid. As usual, he had sold all his possessions for drugs again, and all he had on him were the tattered clothes he was wearing. Family and Church members assisted with the procurement of clothes and other essentials and by Sunday, 7 December, my son and I tackled the long drive to his new home. I prayed nonstop during the 22 hour trip, travelling 1750 kilometers on fuel sponsored by the Church, in a car loaned from my brother-in-law. My own car was due for a service and lacked a spare wheel which my son had previously stolen. I simply didn’t have the time, or funds to sort this out, as my first priority was to get the child to a place of safety.

Some of you may be reading this news for the first time.
You are probably wondering WHY I am sharing this news at a time when people worldwide are celebrating a season of peace, happiness, love and hope. The mere fact that I have mentioned the aforesaid words should already indicate the purpose of this letter. I am not going to ask you for your money, so please relax! All I want you to do is to pray for my son and the thousands of other kids who have been conned into believing that drugs are the answer to all their problems. The power of prayer is so amazing that if you truly believe what you ask for, then your prayers will surely be answered – (Matthew 21:22 and Mark 11:24).

I you don’t mind doing so; I will appreciate it if you can spread this message via e-mail, your blog, or word of mouth.
The time has come for us to stop the greedy druglords and their accomplices dead in their tracks! We cannot rely solely on our government to tackle this problem. The more people we have praying for one specific cause, the more chances of success we will have.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
May the New Year bring you abundant blessings, joy, peace, and love.

God Bless

NPO REGISTRATION NUMBER: 2009/004578/08

12 comments :

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

My original email was sent out to a select few, but yet I was amazed at the enormous response I received, and also the confessions of people who, admitted, for the first time, that they also have a brother, a cousin, or a friend caught up in this evil.

This is a season for reflection - a time to sit down and ponder how we can help these people. Prayer costs nothing -- only a few minutes a day, but yet it's the MOST POWERFUL TOOL we have to combat this. All the money in the world will not be enough to help these kids, but faith can perform miracles!

Thanks again to all those folk you have sent me words of encouragement and for keeping my son in their prayers.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

My son is a heroin addict too. I am happy for you and your son that you found a program for him. Has he tried Suboxone or Subutex? It is a miracle drug that is helping my son stay clean-45 days so far this time. Godspeed to you.

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Yes, he used Subutex to get over the withdrawal symptoms, but it is still a narcotic drug and just a substitute for the heroin he was addicted to. At least it’s not a lethal drug, and I suppose it is useful in that respect. We had difficulty controlling my son’s intake of Subutex and he often abused it as well. Thanks for your input and Godspeed to you and your son too.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

My 37 year old son came home to SA from London December 2008 to escape from the evils of drugs. With the help and love from us and our family he managed to overcome his addiction to heroin. He got a job, built and avairy and started breeding birds and was so proud of how he kicked that dirty habit. 10 months later an old "friend" arrived on the scene, they went out for a few beers and ......need I say no more.... the next day we found him dead in his bedroom with evidence of chasing the dragon on the floor. Can you imagine the shock to us as we thought he was well over the drugs. As parents we felt so guilty that we didn't do more to help him but at 37 surely he knew more about drugs than we would ever know????

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

My daughter of 19 got tangled up with drugs like Magic Mushrooms, Mescaline, Ecstacy and more. She went to re-hab and I've just moved her to another one.

What I would like to know is if there is anybody who has had experience with Nieuwefontein Empowement Centre, as the mother above describes it as a 'reputable re-hab', yet it is not registered and failed to meet the standard requirements (according to government papers on the net?)

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Nieuwefontein is an excellent rehab. They’ve had major sukses with the hard drugs. Get in touch with Dereck or Duan on 082 558 5815. Good Luck!

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

The number quoted above is no longer valid for Nieuwefontein. Contact us on Office 079 519 9320 or 082 881 1532. Fax 086 554 0976. www.necnc.co.za

Gaye Cameron said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

@Tia Mysoa PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOUR SON IS DOING NOW - 6 YEARS LATER - MY SON HAS ALSO SUCCUMBED TO THE HABIT AND I AM SO SCARED AS I DONT SEE MANY POSITIVE STORIES OUT THERE\

Gaye Cameron said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Hi I notice you started blogging in 2008 - it is now 2013 - please tell us how your son is doing - I am so terrified - e have discovered that my son has also allowed drugs to take control of his life, we have been trying everything now for 15 months - at the moment he is clean again. I pray so hard it will stay like that and ask for prayers as well, That God will give him the wisdom strength and desire so that he may see past this evil and win over it

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

Dear Gaye Cameron, I unfortunately do not have good news about my son. He went missing on 7 September 2010. I received the tragic news of his death almost a month later, on 5 October 2010. Although we have, to date, STILL not received official confirmation of the cause of his death, we suspect it was a heroin overdose. See posting here.

I wish I can console you with some words of comfort, but I don’t know what advice to give, except - look after yourself and your own sanity. Get plenty of rest and stay strong, mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Anonymous said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

How do I contact "adopt a drug addic" ????

Tia Mysoa said... .....Click here to refresh this blog

‘Adopt a Drug Addict’ has been taken over by Freedom Recovery Centre, based in Nigel South Africa.

http://www.freedomrecoverycentre.co.za

Latest 5 Featured Posts:

Operation Vula, its Secret Safari, and Zuma’s band of comrades - Dec. 2013
During 1986 the ANC launched an underground operation called Operation Vula. A lesser-known fact is that it continued to operate after Nelson Mandela's release in February 1990, and for three years after his speech in August 1990 when he reiterated the total commitment of the ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe and the SACP to the Groote Schuur Minute.

Heritage Day Photographs (Voortrekker Monument) - Sept. 2013
This posting includes a few photographs taken on Heritage Day 2013. The posting introduces an unusual but beautiful new structure called QUO VADIS? (with the question mark) which I’m sure many readers have never heard of.

The Yellow-Bucket Marula Tree: A Mystery Solved! - Oct. 2013
I came across a rather strange phenomenon one day while travelling along the R561 route between Tolwe and Baltimore in the Limpopo province of South Africa. A small yellow bucket was attached high-up in a branch of a Marula tree, hence the name of this posting. It’s a real funny story which I’m sure most readers will enjoy - as much as I enjoyed compiling the article  - (with illustrations).

Pretoria’s Monument for Victims of Terrorism - July 2013
Many people (including myself) had almost forgotten about a noteworthy monument in Pretoria that stood at the entrance of the old Munitoria building on the corner of Van der Walt and Vermeulen Streets (now renamed Lilian Ngoyi and Madiba Streets). When the Munitoria building was demolished on 7 July 2013 nobody could tell me whether the monument was still standing or not, so I decided to go look for myself.

Remembering The Battle of Delville Wood - July 2013
14 July marks a day when the South African 1st Infantry Brigade got engaged in the 1916 (WW1) Battle of the Somme, in France. The battle was one of the largest of World War I, in which more than a million men were wounded or killed, making it one of humanity's bloodiest battles. One specific encounter during this battle, known as The Battle of Delville Wood, is of particular importance to South Africa. The posting includes a comprehensive article (with pictures) compiled and written by Petros Kondos.


Blog Feeds - Sister Blogs:

African Countries (Alphabetical list):
(The links will redirect to the Amazon.com page dealing with the specific country.)




JKLS AFRICA



Browse Books By Category